Stoke Newington National Reserve Flag

 
image w2014-113b
image w2014-113b

Object

Flag

Title

Stoke Newington National Reserve Flag

Production date

1913

Material

Silk

Dimensions

Length: 142cm
Height: 91cm
:

Description

Double sided silk flag, machine stiched together, painted central oval motif, red silk pole sleeve.

The National Reserve movement was launched in 1911, and sought out former soldiers who would constitute a force that could be quickly added to the Army in time of need. The Stoke Newington scheme was inaugerated in December 1913 by the then Mayor of the Borough, Alderman H.J.Ormond. At that time there were already nearly 600 members in the borough and Ormond proposed that they be given a local headquarters. This eventually was provided in Albion Grove, together with a rifle range.

The National Reserve was a register of trained officers and men who had no further obligation for military service. Its purpose was to enable an increase in military resources in the event of imminent national danger. The register was maintained by the County Associations that also organised the Territorial Force and they would frame their own rules for organising the reserve within their area.

Discovered with 2015.74

Production organisation

Stoke Newington National Reserve

Inscription

Stoke Newington National Reserve

Object number

2014.113

On display?

No
 

Back to top