Fire engine

 
image 1996-36
image 1996-36
image dsc_2577
image dsc_2562
image dsc_2565
image dsc_2566

Object

Vehicle

Title

Fire engine

Production date

1735

Material

Woods
Metals

Dimensions

Height (Whole): 1690mm
Width (Whole): 900mm
Depth (Whole): 1780mm

Description

Fire Engine

This fire engine is more than 150 years old. It was kept at St Augustine’s Church, in the parish of St John-at-Hackney, and used by volunteers to put out fires in the area.

Water was poured into the trough at the end. A team of men then pushed the wooden poles on either side of the engine up and down. This pumped the water out through a leather hose and onto the fire. Unfortunately the hose has not survived.

Production place

Whitechapel

Credit line

See notes and further CD of images in history files in Museum workroom

Inscription

'Hand painted inscription on two side panels reads "St John at Hackney, George Cowland, Aaron Ayshford, Churchwardens'. '1838' painted on panel at front.

Associated place

Hackney

Object number

1996.36

On display?

Yes
 

Back to top