View of Stoke Newington Church Street

image wch1996-7
image wch1996-7




View of Stoke Newington Church Street

Production date





Pen and ink drawing of Stoke Newington Church Street. View looking east just before junction with Albion Road showing Church Row houses on the left and Halstead House on the right.

Halstead House was demolished in 1930 as part of street widening. Church Row was bought by the borough council in 1932 and became the site of the new Stoke Newington Town Hall.

Production person

Fletcher, Hanslip

Production person note

Fletcher was a painter and etcher. He belonged to the Art Worker’s Guild and was on the Committee of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. His work is in the National Museum of Wales, the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, and the Guildhall Library in London. He exhibited from 1906 - 1938 with the following organisations: Beaux Arts Gallery; Barbizon House; Dudley Gallery; Grosvenor Gallery; Goupil Gallery; International Society; Walker Art Gallery Liverpool; London Salon; New English Art Club; the Royal Academy; the Royal Institute of Painters in Water-colour; and the Royal Scottish Academy.

Associated place


Object number

CH 1996.7

On display?


Back to top